- Peer-Reviewed Publications
- Forthcoming. "Teaching from Experience: Foreign Training and Rebel Success in Civil War." Conflict Management and Peace Science. With Eric Keels and Jay Benson.
- Forthcoming. "Group Size and State Concessions: A Multi-level Study of Resistance Method." Research in Social Movements, Conflict, and Change. With Christopher Cyr.
- 2020. "From 'bush bureaucracies' to electoral competition: what explains the political success of rebel parties after civil wars?" Journal of Elections, Public Opinion, and Parties. 30(1): 42-63.
- 2018. “Organizing to rule: structure, agent, and explaining presidential management styles in Africa." Democratization. 25(3): 524-544. With John Ishiyama and Marijke Breuning.
- 2015. “Reviewer Fatigue? Why Scholars Decline to Review Their Peers’ Work." PS: Political Science & Politics. 48 (4): 595-600. With Marijke Breuning, Jeremy Backstrom, Jeremy Brannon, and Benjamin Gross.
- 2014. “At the Water’s Edge: The Decline of Partisan Liberal Internationalism?” Acta Politica. 50 (August): 320-343. With John Ishiyama and Jacqueline DeMeritt.
- 2013. “Territorial Control, Level of Violence, and the Electoral Performance of Former Rebel Political Parties after Civil Wars.” Civil Wars. 15 (4): 531-550. With John Ishiyama.
- "A Diversified Portfolio of Terrorism: The Use of Violent and Nonviolent Strategies by Terrorist Organizations." With Stephanie Werner and Pinar Alakoc.
- "How territorial size, public goods, and ethnic settlement patterns shape rebel conflict goals." With Jacob Lewis.
- “Women’s Participation in Rebel Groups and Post-Conflict Justice Onset” With Angela Nichols.
- “The Origins of Rebel Groups and Women’s Engagement in Rebel Organizations” With Angela Nichols.
- “Beasts of Burden: Refugees, Economic Grievances, and Social Conflict” With Brandon Stewart and Jeremy Backstrom.
- “Formed Under Pressure: The Proximity of Gemstones and Social Conflict” With Samuel Morse and Holley Hansen.