- Civil Conflict
- Political Violence
- Non-State Actors
- Forthcoming. “Organizing to rule: structure, agent, and explaining presidential management styles in Africa.” (with John Ishiyama and Marijke Breuning). Democratization.
- 2015. “Reviewer Fatigue? Why Scholars Decline to Review Their Peers’ Work.” (with Marijke Breuning, Jeremy Backstrom, Jeremy Brannon, and Ben Gross). PS: Political Science & Politics. 48 (4): 595-600.
- 2014. “At the Water’s Edge: The Decline of Partisan Liberal Internationalism?” (with John Ishiyama and Jacqueline Demeritt). Acta Politica. 50 (August): 320-343.
- 2013. “Territorial Control, Level of Violence, and the Electoral Performance of Former Rebel Political Parties after Civil Wars.” (with John Ishiyama). Civil Wars. 15 (4): 531-550.
- “From ‘Bush Bureaucracies’ to electoral competition: The impact of wartime rebel bureaucracies on the emergence of former rebel political parties” (with John Ishiyama).
- “Women’s Participation in Rebel Groups and Post-Conflict Justice Onset” (with Angela D. Nichols)
- “The Origins of Rebel Groups and Women’s Engagement in Rebel Organizations” (with Angela D. Nichols)
- “Beasts of Burden: Refugees, Economic Grievances, and Social Conflict” (with Brandon Stewart & Jeremy Backstrom)
- “Formed Under Pressure: The Proximity of Gemstones and Social Conflict” (with Samuel Morse and Holley Hansen)